Random thoughts on life in the city of Detroit from a follower and servant of Christ.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Peaches and Greens



So our long-awaited produce market opened yesterday. Here are a couple of photos from the grand opening. We acquired the building last winter, it was a dry cleaners before it was shut down when the owners were selling drugs instead of pressing shirts. The building sat untouched for a number of years. Our teens worked back in February to clear the building of all the old clothes and junk. Then through the spring and summer, volunteers from Trinity Church in Plymouth worked to renovate the entire building into useful space. Now we have created new jobs and stabilized another corner in our community. And what a gift to have fresh fruit, vegetables, and dairy two blocks away! This is a big gift to the physical and economic health of our community. Now we just need to sell some garlic and eggplant. (Thanks to Rachel for the photos).

2 Comments:

Blogger rachel said...

Hi Mark!

It was great to see you & Kristin again on Saturday. I'm glad you used the pictures! :) I'll get your email from Doug & send you some more pictures - I have some cute ones of the boys.

~rachel

8:25 AM

 
Blogger Sarah Halter said...

We do have garlic, and I'll make a note that you'd like eggplant. Thanks for your support!

3:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home